(Fully Remote) Part-Time Advice Attorney Needed for Fast-Growing Tenant Rights Law Firm
Are you a social-justice-oriented attorney who enjoys giving legal advice to deserving and grateful clients?
Do you enjoy working from home during flexible hours?
Are you comfortable with technology and interacting with clients via teleconferencing or telephone?
Are you looking to join a team of smart, hardworking, and high-energy legal professionals in one of the fastest growing law firms in the United States that was also recently certified as a Great Place to Work®?
If you have answered yes to these questions, and your current employer does not offer the following perks:
- 100% remote work with state-of-the-art firm-issued computer and telecommunications equipment;
- Competitive compensation and benefits;
- Open (unlimited!!!) paid time off;
- Full health, dental, and vision benefits after ninety days of fulltime employment;
- Paid holidays (ten days per year) and paid sick leave in accordance with state law;
- Professional growth opportunities;
- A positive, supportive firm culture;
- Weekly Lunch & Learns focusing on personal, professional, and financial growth; and
- A 401(k) Plan with a 3% mandatory employer contribution after one year with the firm.
YOU MAY JUST BE THE PERSON WE’RE LOOKING FOR.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are a fast-growing San Francisco-based tenant rights law firm dedicated to changing lives—one tenant at a time. We help California tenants who have been illegally evicted, discriminated against, harassed, or forced to endure unlivable conditions recover money from their landlords. We are seeking a rock star Advice Attorney who can hit the ground running.
The Advice Attorney will be part of the six-person Client Intake & Engagement Team, which currently consists of the Client Intake & Engagement Manager, a Senior Advice Attorney, a Client Engagement Specialist, two Client Intake Specialists, and a Client Onboarding Specialist.
The Advice Attorney’s primary duties are to advise limited-scope clients of their rights under the law, assess their individual situations, and recommend a course of action; identify which of these clients may now or at some point in the near future be candidates for representation on a contingency fee basis; and assist the Client Intake & Engagement Team with the screening, assessment, and onboarding of new matters.
Specific job duties include the following:
- Tracking Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for position in Scorecard on a weekly basis;
- Preparing for, showing up on time for, and completing all paid client consultations, advising them of their rights under the law, assessing their individual situations, and recommending a course of action;
- Nurturing relationships with paid consultation clients, leaving them better off for having retained the firm;
- Identifying whether any paid consultation clients are candidates for contingency representation and referring these potential matters to the Client Intake & Engagement Team (whether or not their matters are ripe);
- Assisting the Client Intake & Engagement Team with the screening, assessment, and onboarding of new matters;
- Serving as a resource for potential contingency clients who wish to speak to an attorney before retaining the firm;
- Assisting the Legal Production Team on an ad hoc basis with overflow work, such as complaint drafting, pretrial document drafting, advanced legal research, and, occasionally, deposition coverage;
- Reporting to the Client Intake & Engagement Manager any suggested improvements to TLG’s policies, systems, and procedures relating to the provision of legal services to limited-scope clients;
- Recording in Clio Manage every minute of time spent performing legal services for clients on a bill-as-you-go basis; and
- Attending Daily Stand-Up Meetings with the Client Intake & Engagement Team, Weekly Team Meetings, Weekly Lunch & Learns, Monthly Coaching Sessions, and Semiannual Performance Reviews.
If the following statements describe you, then you may be our Advice Attorney:
- You believe in the firm’s commitment to work-life balance but are nonetheless prepared to start a bit earlier or finish a bit later when necessary to get the job done.
- You have an empathetic and understanding manner with clients.
- You have great attention to detail. You proofread your emails; can spot and fix grammar errors, spelling errors, typos, etc.; and you do not let important details slip through the cracks.
- You expect personal performance to be nothing short of the best.
- You are trustworthy, do not cut corners ethically, earn trust and maintain confidences when appropriate, and, most importantly, do what is right, not just what is expedient.
- You are innovative, growth-minded, can craft new and creative solutions to tenant problems, and can maximize value.
- You can act without being told what to do and bring new ideas to management.
- You develop and nurture productive and professional relationships with clients and staff, and are both approachable yet stern when the circumstances require.
- You are self-directed, able to assess a situation and determine what needs to be done and then do it.
- Your middle name is “No Drama.”
- You are an awesome juggler of tasks and can change gears quickly.
- You do not think of any task as “beneath you.”
Some familiarity with California landlord-tenant law is preferred but not required. This position has no minimum years-in-practice requirement and newly licensed attorneys are welcome and encouraged to apply. The Advice Attorney must be an active member of the State Bar of California with a discipline-free record; have an ability and willingness to follow policies, systems, and procedures; have a positive attitude and sense of humor; have excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills; be proficient with the Windows Operating System and Microsoft Office 365, including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Teams, Stream, and OneDrive; preferably, have experience with Zoom, Clio Manage, Lawmatics, and Keeper Security; preferably, speak Spanish; demonstrate a commitment to fighting for tenant rights; have a high comfort level with technology; and have an interest in growing with the firm.
Initially, this position will be part-time, requiring twenty to thirty hours per week (exact hours of availability are flexible and can include weekends). The ideal candidate will be available for up to forty hours per week within one to two months based on anticipated growth. The Advice Attorney may perform his or her duties from any location in the world. Salary depends on experience. Total compensation includes open (unlimited) PTO; full health, dental, and vision benefits after ninety days of fulltime employment; paid holidays (ten days per year) and sick leave in accordance with state law; and a 401(k) Plan with a 3% mandatory employer contribution beginning after one year with the firm.
About the Firm
Founded in January 2016, Tenant Law Group is dedicated exclusively to the representation of renters and helps California tenants recover money for their losses. Law Firm 500 recognized Tenant Law Group as the twenty-second fastest growing law firm in the United States in 2019 with an aggregate growth rate of 193%; the twelfth fastest growing law firm in the United States in 2020 with an aggregate growth rate of 449%; the fortieth fastest growing law firm in the United States in 2021 with an aggregate growth rate of 187%; and the seventy-eighth fastest growing law firm in the United States in 2022 with an aggregate growth rate of 151%. In 2022, Inc. 5000 recognized Tenant Law Group as among the five thousand fastest-growing privately held companies in the United States (#3,448), one of only forty-two law firms to be recognized. Our clients are California renters who are experiencing any type of dispute with their landlord. We have offices in San Francisco (headquarters), Oakland, and Los Angeles—with plans to expand to additional locations in 2023. Our team size is currently thirty-nine, including fourteen full-time employees, one part-time employee, and twenty-four contractors. We are committed to the work we do for our clients, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously and really value professional development and team building. Here is our mission statement:
Tenant Law Group is dedicated to helping California renters who have been harassed, injured, discriminated against, illegally evicted, or forced to endure inhumane living conditions. We are committed to the ideal that all tenants, regardless of financial resources, are entitled to legal representation. While our clients include renters from all backgrounds, we are especially dedicated to those who are most vulnerable—namely, the indigent, the elderly, immigrants, blue-collar workers, and individuals with disabilities. We believe in doing well by doing good, understand the high demand for tenant rights legal services in California generally and in the Bay Area in particular, and therefore aim to grow our firm as rapidly as possible to serve the approximately eighteen million renters in California. We treat our clients with dignity and respect, and value the personal and professional development of everyone in our organization. Our core values are justice, compassion, professionalism, hard work, and innovation. Tenant Law Group is an equal opportunity employer.
Se habla español.
Click here for instructions on how to apply.