100% REMOTE Trial Counsel Needed for Fast-Growing Tenant Rights Law Firm
Are you a California-licensed attorney with significant trial experience who is comfortable with remote work?
Are you interested in delivering life-changing results to deserving clients through trial advocacy?
Are you comfortable with technology and interacting with a team via the latest teleconferencing and videoconferencing technology?
Are you looking to join a team of smart, hardworking, and high-energy attorneys and legal professionals in one of the fastest growing privately held companies in the United States that has been certified as a Great Place to Work® for three years in a row?
If you’ve answered yes to these questions, and your current employer does not offer the following perks:
- 100% remote work with state-of-the-art firm-issued computer and telecommunications equipment;
- Competitive compensation that includes unlimited bonuses tied to the achievement of objective quarterly milestones;
- Open (unlimited!!!) paid time off;
- Health, dental, vision, and life insurance after ninety days of fulltime employment;
- Paid holidays (ten days per year) and paid sick leave in accordance with state law;
- Payment of California State Bar annual fees and any needed CLE courses to ensure compliance;
- Professional growth opportunities; and
- A 401(k) retirement plan with a mandatory employer contribution beginning twelve months from the date of employment.
YOU MAY JUST BE THE PERSON WE’RE LOOKING FOR.
We are a fast-growing San Francisco-based tenant rights law firm dedicated to changing lives—one tenant at a time. We help California tenants who have been illegally evicted, discriminated against, harassed, or forced to endure uninhabitable living conditions recover money for their losses. We are seeking a rock star Trial Counsel who can hit the ground running.
The primary responsibilities of the Trial Counsel are to oversee the prosecution of a portfolio of litigation matters; ensure progression of litigation matters through the pipeline; first chair at least one trial per year; and act as a sounding board and mentor to other attorneys.
This position will be responsible for critically important work, including:
- ● Acting as the responsible attorney for a portfolio of litigation matters, attending court hearings, defending clients at depositions, taking opposing parties’ depositions, attending mediations, and (occasionally) first- or second-chairing trials;
- ● Overseeing and monitoring the job performance of a dedicated Paralegal and Case Manager;
- ● First-chairing at least one trial per year;
- ● Handling all other high-level pretrial tasks, e.g., taking and defending depositions, attending mediations, and preparing matters for trial;
- ● Mentoring other attorneys in the firm with less trial experience;
- ● Reviewing the work product of the dedicated Paralegal;
- ● Ensuring, with the assistance of an electronic calendaring system, that all litigation deadlines are met;
- ● Ensuring, with the assistance of an electronic calendaring system, that all statutes of limitations are met;
- ● Assisting in the creation and/or revision of the firm’s policies, systems, and procedures to ensure efficient operations; and
- ● Attending weekly attorney roundtable meetings led by our Chief Legal Officer, weekly team meetings, weekly Lunch & Learns, and monthly individual coaching meetings.
If the following statements describe you, then you may be our Trial Counsel:
- ● You are an experienced explainer who is comfortable in front of a jury.
- ● Your litigation style is aggressive, but practical. When interacting with opposing counsel, you believe in the Golden Rule.
- ● You have thick skin—an ability to roll with the punches and not take criticism from clients, adjusters, or opposing counsel personally.
- ● You believe in the firm’s commitment to work-life balance but are nonetheless prepared to arrive early, stay late, and work on weekends when necessary to get the job done.
- ● You have an empathetic and understanding manner with clients.
- ● You have great attention to detail. You proofread documents and emails; can spot and fix grammar errors, spelling errors, typos, formatting errors, etc.; you do not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- ● You expect personal performance and team performance to be nothing short of the best.
- ● You are trustworthy, do not cut corners ethically, earn trust and maintain confidences when appropriate, and, most importantly, do what is right, not just what is expedient.
- ● You are innovative, growth-minded, can generate new and creative approaches to problems, and can maximize value and use of technology and other resources.
- ● You can act without being told what to do and bring new ideas to the Chief Legal Officer.
- ● You work at a fast pace with the ability to move between tasks quickly, are not overwhelmed with volume or by deadlines, and spend time on tasks that add value.
- ● You develop and nurture productive and professional relationships with clients and staff and are both approachable yet stern when the circumstances require.
- ● You are self-directed, able to assess a situation and determine what needs to be done and then do it.
- ● Your middle name is “No Drama.”
- ● You are an awesome juggler of tasks and can change gears quickly.
- ● You do not think of any task as “beneath you.”
While we do not have a minimum years-in-practice requirement, we need a Trial Counsel with significant trial experience. Attorneys with a criminal law background (whether as an Assistant United States Attorney, federal public defender, deputy district attorney, or public defender) are ideal candidates—even attorneys without any civil law experience. That said, an ideal candidate would also have some experience taking and defending depositions, attending mediations, and negotiating settlements/pleas. Trial Counsel must be an active member of the State Bar of California with a discipline-free record. Trial Counsel must be able to manage a portfolio of litigation matters, lead a team, take initiative on work that needs to be done, prosecute claims aggressively and efficiently, and complete tasks with minimal handholding. The ideal candidate will have a positive attitude and sense of humor, and be willing to follow policies, systems, and procedures.
This is a fulltime job, and you absolutely must be able to work for at least forty hours per week. Work will be done 100% virtually. Salary depends on experience. Total compensation includes bonuses tied to the achievement of objective quarterly milestones (in full compliance with California law and the California Rules of Professional Conduct); open (unlimited) PTO; health, dental, and vision benefits after ninety days of fulltime employment; paid holidays (ten days per year) and sick leave in accordance with state law; payment of California State Bar annual fees and any needed CLE courses to ensure compliance; and a 401(k) retirement plan with a mandatory employer contribution beginning twelve months from the date of employment.
About the Firm
Founded in January 2016, Tenant Law Group is dedicated exclusively to the representation of renters and helps California tenants recover money for their losses. Law Firm 500 recognized Tenant Law Group as the twenty-second fastest growing law firm in the United States in 2019 with an aggregate growth rate of 193%; the twelfth fastest growing law firm in the United States in 2020 with an aggregate growth rate of 449%; the fortieth fastest growing law firm in the United States in 2021 with an aggregate growth rate of 187%; and the seventy-eighth fastest growing law firm in the United States in 2022 with an aggregate growth rate of 151%. In 2022, Inc. 5000 recognized Tenant Law Group as among the five thousand fastest-growing privately held companies in the United States (#3,448), one of only forty-two law firms to be recognized. Our clients are California renters who are experiencing any type of dispute with their landlord. We have offices in San Francisco (headquarters), Oakland, and Los Angeles—with plans to expand to additional locations in 2023. Our team size is currently forty-three, including fourteen full-time employees, one part-time employee, and twenty-eight contractors. We are committed to the work we do for our clients, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously and really value professional development and team building. Here is our mission statement:
Tenant Law Group is dedicated to helping California renters who have been harassed, injured, discriminated against, illegally evicted, or forced to endure inhumane living conditions. We are committed to the ideal that all tenants, regardless of financial resources, are entitled to legal representation. While our clients include renters from all backgrounds, we are especially dedicated to those who are most vulnerable—namely, the indigent, the elderly, immigrants, blue-collar workers, and individuals with disabilities. We believe in doing well by doing good, understand the high demand for tenant rights legal services in California generally and in the Bay Area in particular, and therefore aim to grow our firm as rapidly as possible to serve the approximately eighteen million renters in California. We treat our clients with dignity and respect, and value the personal and professional development of everyone in our organization. Our core values are justice, compassion, professionalism, hard work, and innovation. Tenant Law Group is an equal opportunity employer.
Se habla español.
Click here for instructions on how to apply.